Friday, July 4, 2008

Ham with Caper-Avocado Spread

In searching for food that might not send me into a spiralling Sugar Crash of Doom, such as the Pop-Tart that made its way into my mouth, I came up with this quick recipe. It's good as a snack or a light breakfast. It has the Husband Seal of Approval. And it is gourmet delicious.

For the Ham with Caper-Avocado Spread, you will need (2 small servings or one very large one):

6 or so slices of Black Forest ham (I think that's what I pulled out, but I'll never know, since it shredded as soon as I touched it)
1 oz cream cheese (soft goat or farmer's cheese would be tasty too, or even Better Than Cream Cheese if dairy is not an option)
Half a Hass avocado
Thinnish slice from the middle of a red onion (substitute other alliums freely)
2 teaspoons capers
2 teaspoons lemon juice, or a couple good squeezes
Salt

Shred the ham onto as many plates as you want servings. Scoop avocado flesh out of the skin with a spoon, and put in a small bowl along with the cream cheese. Use the edge of the spoon to cut the ingredients into small chunks, and the back of the spoon to smash them together. Blend them together, then add lemon juice, several shakes of salt, and capers. After distributing the new ingredients through the avocado cream paste, spoon onto the ham and spread almost to the edge of it. Sliver your onion slice into smallish pieces and sprinkle over the top. Eat with a fork.

If you had ham slices with more structural integrity, you could use a single ham slice, spread the avocado mixture on it, and roll it up. That was actually my intention. But the ham shreds were tasty, so who am I to complain?

I'll be trying some recipes from The Low Carb Gourmet later on today, so look for my report!

No comments: