Friday, July 11, 2008

Low Carb Tonkatsu

I am indescribably happy. Last night, I made tonkatsu. They were the most amazing, crisp-on-the-outside, moist-on-the-inside, delectible pork cutlets I have ever made. And they were low carb. The only cheatery thing was the Bulldog sauce I put on them (because tonkatsu needs Bulldog sauce), which is a mere 6 carbs per tablespoon. I don't think I used a tablespoon, but I am sad that it has nasty corn syrup in it. And I may make my own tonkatsu or ponzu sauce once I run out.

Anyway, the recipe:

Pork loin chops (you can buy your own pork loin and slice, buy and have the butcher slice, or buy pre-sliced. I found a pound of pork loin chops on sale.) You will want about two half-inch slices per person, unless someone has an unusually big or unusually small appetite.
Almond meal, about 1/3 cup per 4 slices
1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
1/2 6oz bag pork rinds, smashed into tiny pieces
Lawry's seasoned salt, or your favorite seasoning mix
Canola, coconut, or peanut oil (or a combination) for frying

If you're feeling ambitious, put the chops between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound relatively flat. Do not let it get too thin, or it will fall apart or get holes in it. If you are lazy, you will just take your pork chops and begin breading them.
Set up a plate with almond meal, a bowl with the egg, a plate with the pork rinds, and an extra plate to hold your breaded pork. Dredge the pork in almond flour, dip it in the egg, and bread with the pork rinds.
Heat your oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron. A candy thermometer or the like really helps here. I put my tonkatsu in at about 350F. Once they were in, the temperature didn't get higher then 325-ish. Cook them for 5-10 minutes with four to a pan (don't overcrowd), until the color of the coating darkens, flipping every now and then.
Remove your tonkatsu to a rack. Make sure you have paper towels below the rack to catch the dripping oil. Leave them there until they stop making sizzling sounds.
Serve with cauli-rice (I like Cleochatra's recipe, but I do mine from raw cauliflower and just cook it longer), shredded cabbage, and tonkatsu or ponzu sauce! Some people also like lemon and Japanese mustard with their tonkatsu--I haven't tried it yet.
Enjoy!

No comments: